Frequently Asked Questions





Q:  What is a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)?

A:  The Community Development Block Grant is a federally funded grant program administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), aimed to assist low to moderate-income communities in community development projects.  Every year, each city with more than 50,000 people and each county with a population with more than 200,000 automatically receive this funding from the federal government. CDBG dollars can be used to fund community development projects such as:

- Public Facilities: day care centers, recreational facilities, parks/playgrounds or health centers.
- Public Improvements: street and sidewalk repairs/improvements, graffiti removal.
- Public Services: employment services, crime prevention, childcare, health services, fair housing counseling or recreational services.
- Housing Activities: housing rehabilitation, lead abatement, housing discrimination services, and emergency shelter services.
- Economic Development: small business loans/grants, job training, construction and rehabilitation of commercial buildings.

  Q:  What type of programs and projects are eligible for Community Development Block  Grant (CDBG) funds?

  A:  CDBG funds can be used for a wide range of activities such as housing rehabilitation, code enforcement, acquisition of real property, demolition, infrastructure and public facility improvements, economic development, and social services. The primary eligibility requirement for any such activity to be funded is that the project or program principally benefits low and moderate-income persons in designated census tracts.  The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) defines low and moderate income as a household that is at or below 80% of the median income for the area. These income guidelines are adjusted annually. 

Q:  What is the HOME Investment Partnership Act (HOME)?

A: The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) allocates HOME Investment Partnership Act funds by formula to eligible state and local governments, including the City of Inglewood to strengthen public-private partnerships to provide more affordable housing.  

Fifteen percent (15%) of HOME funds must be allocated to a Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO).  The City utilizes the remaining eighty-five percent (85%) of HOME funds to expand the supply of decent, safe, sanitary, and affordable housing to very low to moderate-income persons. This is accomplished through implementation of housing programs and projects that provide assistance in the form of grants and deferred loans. HOME Program eligible costs and activities are, program administration, new housing construction, housing rehabilitation, home mortgage/purchase assistance, short term rental assistance.

Q:  What is the Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG) Program?

A:  Emergency Shelter Grant program funds are used to help improve the quality of existing emergency shelters for the homeless, to help make available additional emergency shelters, and to meet the costs of operating shelter and providing essential services to the homeless. The City of Inglewood contracts with two agencies that provide a provision of homeless services.  These agencies are St. Margaret's Center and People Assisting the Homeless (P.A.T.H). 

Q:   What are Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Eligible Activities?


-  Housing (Rehabilitation and Home Purchase Assistance)

-  Housing Rehabilitation and preservation

-  Lead-based paint testing and abatement

-  Relocation assistance

-  Acquisition and disposition

-  Clearance and Demolition

-  Public Facilities Improvements

-  Acquisition, installation, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructure

                        -  Acquisition, construction or rehabilitation of neighborhood facilities  

                          and facilities for persons with special needs (e.g., cultural centers,

                           homeless shelters, etc.)

-  Economic Development

-   Assistance to micro-enterprises and other businesses

-   Technical assistance and supportive services

-   Outreach, marketing and other services to assisted businesses

                        -   Relocation assistance for businesses temporarily or permanently 


-  Public information

Public/Social Services

-  Job training and employment services

-  Health care and substance abuse services

-  Childcare

-  Crime prevention

-  Fair housing counseling

-  Cultural programs

Other Eligible Activities

-  Code enforcement

-  Historic preservation

-  Facade improvement

Ineligible Activities

-  Building(s) for the general conduct of government (city hall)

-  Political activities

-  General government expenses

-  Income payment

-  Religious activities 

Q:  Who is eligible for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds?

A:  Individual citizens or families are not eligible for direct CDBG funds.  Only certified, non-profit 501(c) (3) organizations can apply for funding.   Projects and programs must benefit low- and moderate-income individuals in CDBG eligible areas.  City departments can also apply to provide for improvements to public property such as streets, sidewalks and parks.  For more information, please call the CDBG Division at 310-412-8800.

Q:  How can I get involved in the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program?

A: The City of Inglewood believes that citizens can significantly contribute toward the operation of a successful program by participating in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of community development activities. As community representatives, citizens bring knowledge of the problems and needs of individuals, groups and neighborhoods. Citizens’ participation help the City Council make more informed decisions regarding community development activities in Inglewood. The City submits your suggestions and comments in the annual report to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).  To get involved, you can:

A:  The City of Inglewood works with an agency called, Inglewood Neighborhood HousingServices who provide homeownership classes and some financial assistance for qualifying individuals.  Low to moderate-income individuals may qualify for certain programs.  For more information contact Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756.

Q:  Do you have first time homebuyer programs or grants for Inglewood residents?

A: The City of Inglewood does not directly administer a first time homebuyer program.  Please call Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756 for further information on first time homebuyer programs.  

Q:  Can I get money to repair or paint my own home?

A:  Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services provides limited home rehabilitation assistance to qualified homeowners.  Please contact Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756 and ask for information on their home rehabilitation program.

Q:   Do you have a housing repair program for senior citizens?

A:  The City of Inglewood does not directly administer a senior citizen housing repair program.  However, Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services provides home rehabilitation grants for senior citizens.  For more information, please call Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756. 

Q:   Who can apply for Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)?


A:   CDBG funds are available for community development projects in specific, federally mandated CDBG areas within the City of Inglewood.   CDBG grants are awarded on a competitive basis to certified 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations.  Request for Proposals (RFP) are made available once per year, usually during the month of May.  To have your agency added to the City’s CDBG mailing list, please submit your agency’s address and contact name to: CDBG Division, One Manchester Boulevard, Suite 550, Inglewood, California, 90301 or fax requests to 310-330-5780.

Q:   What can I do if I or someone I know are being discriminated against in a housing or apartment rental situation?

A:  The City provides funding to the Southern California Housing Rights Center to offer fair housing services to landlords, tenants, and families with children. 


Have you received an eviction notice?
- Have you had trouble getting repairs completed?
- Have you experienced discrimination in housing because of your   race, ethnic origin, marital status, sex, religion, arbitrary reason (i.e. sexual orientation, source of income)? ...
- Have disputes between tenants and landlords escalated to the point where mediation is needed?
- Have you moved recently but haven't received your security deposit?
- Do you need information about your rights and responsibilities?

Southern California Housing Rights Center investigates cases of alleged housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, familial status, age, and sexual preference. For questions or other assistance please contact the Southern California Housing Rights Center hotline at 310-474-1667.  Assistance is available in Spanish, Mandarin, English, Armenian, Portuguese and Russian. 

Q:  How do I buy a HUD home?

A:  Please refer to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website:  Or call 1-888-827-5605, 1600 North Broadway, Suite 100, Santa Ana, 92706 or visit

Q Can I buy a HUD Home for a dollar?

A:  No. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sells homes at market value - that means that the price is set based on the price of similar homes sold in the area.  Please see the following website for further information:

Q:  What is a low and moderate-income household?

A:  DeteDetermination of low and moderate income is affected by area cost-of-living indices. Generally, low income is considered to be 50% or less of area median income; moderate income is 80% of area median income.

U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development

(Los Angeles County - Very-low, low- and moderate-income limits)

Effective December 10, 2001

Household Size

Very-low Income




$11,550 or less




$13,200 or less




$14,900 or less




$16,550 or less




$17,850 or less




$19,150 or less




$20,500 or less




$21,800 or less



A project meets the standard if at least 51% of the beneficiaries have incomes at or below the limits, or if it benefits a defined neighborhood or target area with a high percentage of low and moderate-income people.

QWhaQWhat types of programs are funded by Community Development Block Grants ?

A:        Funded programs are those that serve 51 percent low- and moderate-income neighborhoods and residents within the City of Inglewood. The majority of CDBG funds are used in acquisition, construction, engineering, planning, and economic development projects. However, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) allows 15 percent of the City's entitlement to go toward funding "public service" (social services) programs. Such "public service" funded programs include: juvenile diversion/youth services, senior citizen services, persons with HIV/AIDS services, job training, homeless services, family violence/crime intervention and prevention services, and transitional living services. (NOTE: This list is not inclusive of all types of services that may be eligible under the CDBG Program.)

Q:  Can the city help me pay my rent?

A:  No, but the City of Inglewood works with an organization called Saint Margaret’s Center, that helps people who have fallen behind in rent or need emergency money for a first and last month's deposit.  For further information, call 310-672-2208 to see if you qualify for emergency services.   

Q:  What types of housing programs are available to non-profit community based programs?

A:  The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers community-based nonprofit organizations the opportunity to purchase HUD homes at discounts of up to 30 percent off the appraised value. For more information, please visit HUD’s website at:

Q:  Where can I get help writing a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG grant)?

A:  The City of Inglewood usually offers one workshop for applicants prior to the deadline of the CDBG grant program (please contact 310-412-8800 for more information). The Center for Nonprofit Management offers a free grant writing basics workshop and has a free nonprofit resource library. For further information on non-profit grant resources please contact the Center for Nonprofit Management:, or visit 606 S. Olive St. Suite 2450, Los Angeles, CA 90014, 213-623-7080.  In addition, the Santa Monica Public Library has the ‘FC Search Database- Cooperating Collections’, which is a core collection of Foundation Center publications and a variety of supplementary materials and services in areas useful to grant seekers.