Community Development

After submitting them to the Planning Division, how long do I wait to get Planning approval?

For simple addition, Planning Division will review your plans over-the-counter.  If they are in compliance with the code requirements that pertain to building setback, height, size of room, building projection, parking, landscaping, etc., the Planning Division staff will stamp and approve your plans at the counter.

After the permit is approved, can I open my large child care facility?

Yes, subject to compliance with the conditions of approval and issuance of a Business Tax Certificate.

Are group homes allowed in Inglewood?

Yes, in residential areas for up to six residents.  For more than six residents, a Special Use Permit is required.

Are painted signs allowed?

No, unless a Sign Adjustment is granted.

Are plans to be in scale?

Yes, plans must be in scale (e.g. 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch is equal to one foot).

Are temporary signs allowed in Inglewood?

A banner is allowed for 30 to 45 days per business per year.

Are the two abovementioned permits the only permits I need for building construction or addition?

No, there are additional permits that Building and Safety Division may require from the property owner.  Examples are Electrical Permit, Plumbing Permit and Mechanical Permit.

Are there any fees to be charged for the review of my plans?

Additions that entail over-the-counter review by the Planning Division have no fees.  Building and Safety Division has plan check fees though.

Are there regulations for Home Occupations?

Yes, you can get a copy of the Home Occupation regulations from the Planning Division or at the City’s web site.

Can I add on a storage room, rumpus room or another accessory structure to my garage

Yes, you can as long as it does not exceed 400 square feet, maintains a minimum six feet clearance from the house, and the number of units in your property does not exceed five.

Can I buy a HUD Home for a dollar?

No. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sells homes at market value - that means that the price is set based on the price of similar homes sold in the area.  Please see the following website for further information:

Can I convert my apartments into condominium units?

Yes, subject to Special Use Permit.

Can I get money to repair or paint my own home?

Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services provides limited home rehabilitation assistance to qualified homeowners.  Please contact Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756 and ask for information on their home rehabilitation program.

Can I operate a business out of my home?

Yes, through a Home Occupation Permit.

Can the city help me pay my rent?

No, but the City of Inglewood works with an organization called Saint Margaret’s Center, that helps people who have fallen behind in rent or need emergency money for a first and last month's deposit.  For further information, call 310-672-2208 to see if you qualify for emergency services.   

Do I need a permit for a banner?

No permit is required.

Do I need a permit for the construction of a fence?

Yes, anything that is over four feet high requires a Fence Permit.  A fence that is more than six feet high also requires a Building Permit.  A Building Permit fee will be charged instead of a Fence Permit fee.

Do I need a permit to build a house or make an addition to my house?

Yes, a Planning approval and a Building permit are required.

Do I need a permit to install a new sign or replace an existing one?

Yes, to install a new sign or replace an existing sign, you need a Sign Permit from the Planning Division.

Do I need an architect or an engineer to prepare the above plans?

Not necessarily.  A draftsman, designer or contractor can prepare the above plans.  If you have a drafting experience, you can prepare the plans yourself.  However, structural plans and details will require the services of a licensed civil engineer.

Do I need approval from the Planning Division to start a business?

Yes, the Finance Department will send you to the Planning Division for zoning clearance of your business location.

Do I need to pave my driveway?

Yes, with asphaltic concrete or portland cement concrete.

Do you have a housing repair program for senior citizens?

The City of Inglewood does not directly administer a senior citizen housing repair program.  However, Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services provides home rehabilitation grants for senior citizens.  For more information, please call Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756.

Do you have first time homebuyer programs or grants for Inglewood residents?

The City of Inglewood does not directly administer a first time homebuyer program.  Please call Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756 for further information on first time homebuyer programs.

How are Housing Vouchers Used?

Once you receive a voucher, you are advised of the unit size for which it is eligible, based on family size and composition.  It is your responsibility to select a unit that meets an acceptable level of health and safety before the Inglewood Housing Authority (IHA) can approve the unit.

The IHA determines a “payment standard” that is the amount generally needed to rent a dwelling unit in the local housing market.  This payment standard is used to determine the amount of housing assistance the family will receive.  A family may select a unit with a rent above or below the payment standard.  The family must pay 30% of its monthly adjusted household income for rent and utilities.  If the unit rent is greater than the payment standard, the family must pay the additional amount.

By law, when ever a family moves to a new unit where the rent exceeds the payment standard, the family may not pay more than 40% of its adjusted monthly income for rent.

How can I get a city loan for a house?

The City of Inglewood works with an agency called, Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services who provide homeownership classes and some financial assistance for qualifying individuals.  Low to moderate-income individuals may qualify for certain programs.  For more information contact Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756.

How can I get involved in the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program?

The City of Inglewood believes that citizens can significantly contribute toward the operation of a successful program by participating in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of community development activities. As community representatives, citizens bring knowledge of the problems and needs of individuals, groups and neighborhoods. Citizens’ participation help the City Council make more informed decisions regarding community development activities in Inglewood. The City submits your suggestions and comments in the annual report to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).  To get involved, you can:

  • Attend community meetings, public hearings and City Council meetings to voice your opinion of how CDBG funding should be spent.
  • Let your with your City Council member know your opinion; send them a letter, schedule a visit or call them.
  • Organize your block, or apartment building. Meet with your local block club group and start to strategize!
  • Educate your neighbors or people in your family about CDBG funding and how they can become involved. 

CDBG has several public hearings throughout the year.  For more information on CDBG public hearings, please call 310-412-8800.

How do I apply for a Fence Permit?

Fill-out a Fence Permit application available at the Planning Division counter.

How do I apply for a Sign Permit?

Submit three sets of sign plan to the Planning Division.

How do I apply for a Special Use Permit?

Special Use Permit application packet is available at the Planning Division counter.  Fees, process and requirements will be explained by the planner when the packet is given.

How do I apply?

Prospective families must first register their names on a waiting list.  Waiting lists are open only at certain specified times, and families can only register during the open enrollment period. Open enrollment is announced through newspaper advertisements.  The demand for housing assistance exceeds the limited resources available and long waiting periods are common.

How do I legalize an existing patio cover or room addition that was not permitted?

Apply for a permit as mentioned in Question # 3 above for room addition.

How is eligibility determined?

Eligibility for a housing voucher is based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to U.S. citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status.  In general, the family’s income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the Los Angeles County area.  By law, we must provide 75% of our vouchers to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30% of the area median income.

How long do I wait to get my Fence Permit?

Unless some issues are involved, Fence Permit is issued over-the-counter.

How long is the process to get the permit?

Processing time is about 30 to 45 days.

How much is the Planning fee for a parcel map?

Fee for a tentative parcel map is $300.  A fee of $300 shall be paid when a Final Parcel Map is submitted.  Public Works also charges review fees.

If I do tenant improvement work in my place of business, do I need a permit?

Yes, you will need Planning approval and Building Permit.

If I have a big lot, can I split it?

Yes, you can apply for a parcel map provided the subdivided lots conform to the minimum zoning and parcel map requirements.

If I need copies of the zoning map or code, where can I buy them?

These are available (at minimal printing cost) at the City Clerk’s office, Ground Floor, City Hall building.

If I need to know the zoning of my proposed business location which office do I call?

Call the Planning Division at (310) 412-5230.

If I owned a restaurant and want to sell alcohol for my customers, what permit do I need?

If beer and wine are sold, no permit is required.  However, sale of liquor will require a Special Use Permit.

If I want to have a child care facility at my home, do I need a permit from the City?

If you plan to provide care for a maximum of eight children, you only need a state license and a business license.  If the number of children exceeds eight and up to 14, you will need a permit (in addition to the state license) from the City for a Large Family Child Care Facility.

If my plans are not in compliance with code requirements, what steps do I need to do?

If your plans are not in compliance with code requirements, the Planning Division staff will indicate the corrections on your plans for you to correct. Once the plans are corrected by your architect or contractor, you resubmit them to the Planning Division.  If the revised plans are in substantial compliance with code requirements, the plans would be approved.

In residential areas, can a carport substitute for a garage?

No.  In some instances a porte cochere may be allowed.

Is there a fee for a Sign Permit?

Sign Permit fee is $50.

Is there a fee for the Fence Permit?

Yes, Planning Division charges $20.00

Is there a fee for the permit?

Yes, the fee is $150.

Is there a minimum lot size for a residential lot?

Yes, 6,000 square feet with a lot frontage of 50 feet.

Is there any work that is exempt from building permits?

A building permit is not required for the following:

  • One story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the projected floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
  • Fences not over 6 feet high.
  • Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high.
  • Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
  • Platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement of story below.
  • Painting, papering and similar finish work.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of private residences or private garages when projecting not more than 54 inches.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a private residence in which the pool walls are entirely above grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons. Unless other wise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above-exempted items.

Once I have the plans and elevations drawn, where do I submit them?

Submit the two sets (may be more in some cases) of plans and elevations to the Planning Division.

Once my plans are approved by the Planning Division, where do I go next?

You submit your plans to Building and Safety Division for structural, electrical, mechanical and plumbing review.

What about roof signs or billboards?

These signs are only allowed by Special Use Permit in certain locations and subject to some restrictions.

What are Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Eligible Activities?

  • Housing (Rehabilitation and Home Purchase Assistance)
  • Housing Rehabilitation and preservation
  • Lead-based paint testing and abatement
  • Relocation assistance
  • Acquisition and disposition
  • Clearance and Demolition
  • Public Facilities Improvements
  • Acquisition, installation, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructure
  • Acquisition, construction or rehabilitation of neighborhood facilities and facilities for persons with special needs (e.g., cultural centers, homeless shelters, etc.)
  • Economic Development
  • Assistance to micro-enterprises and other businesses
  • Technical assistance and supportive services
  • Outreach, marketing and other services to assisted businesses
  • Relocation assistance for businesses temporarily or permanently relocated
  • Public information

Public/Social Services

  • Job training and employment services
  • Health care and substance abuse services
  • Childcare
  • Crime prevention
  • Fair housing counseling
  • Cultural programs

Other Eligible Activities

  • Code enforcement
  • Historic preservation
  • Facade improvement

Ineligible Activities

  • Building(s) for the general conduct of government (city hall)
  • Political activities
  • General government expenses
  • Income payment
  • Religious activities


What are the Permit types issued by the Building Division?

The following are the permits that the Building Division issues:

  • Combination Building Permits
  • Building Permits
  • Electrical Permits
  • Plumbing Permits
  • Mechanical Permits
  • Miscellaneous Permits

What can I do if I or someone I know are being discriminated against in a housing or apartment rental situation?

The City provides funding to the Southern California Housing Rights Center to offer fair housing services to landlords, tenants, and families with children. 

  • Have you received an eviction notice?
  • Have you had trouble getting repairs completed? 
  •  Have you experienced discrimination in housing because of your race, ethnic origin, marital status, sex, religion, arbitrary reason (i.e. sexual orientation, source of income)? ...
  • Have disputes between tenants and landlords escalated to the point where mediation is needed?
  • Have you moved recently but haven't received your security deposit?
  • Do you need information about your rights and responsibilities?

Southern California Housing Rights Center investigates cases of alleged housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, familial status, age, and sexual preference. For questions or other assistance please contact the Southern California Housing Rights Center hotline at 310-474-1667.  Assistance is available in Spanish, Mandarin, English, Armenian, Portuguese and Russian.

What do I do if my neighbor has installed a fence or planted a tree on my property?

This is a civil matter that the neighbors have to resolve through mediation or through court proceedings.

What do I need to do to apply for the above permits?

Get a checklist of project requirements from the Planning Division.

What graphic quality of plans is acceptable to the Planning Division?

Plans must be complete and clearly drawn (not free-hand drawn) with dimensions and descriptions as to the use of the space, layout, size, materials, and colors.

What if I have an addition with a separate entry (regular door instead of a sliding glass door) to my house?

If the addition with a separate entry could be deemed as a separate living quarter, a covenant will be required to be recorded with the Los Angeles County Recorder’s Office.  The covenant basically states that the addition will not be used or represented by the property owner as a rental unit.

What information is required in the application?

Basic information like name, address and phone number of the property owner, type of fencing material, height and length of fence, and location (e.g. front, rear or side property lines) of the fence.

What is a Building Inspection?

A building inspection is the process where a Building Inspector inspects structures during construction for compliance with state and local Building Codes.

What is a checklist of project requirements?

The checklist contains the required drawings or plans that a property owner has to submit such as the following:

1) Site Plan - indicates the size and configuration of the lot and the location of the existing and proposed buildings or projects within the lot with dimensions.

2) Floor Plan(s) - indicates the layout and sizes of the existing and proposed rooms or spaces with dimensions.

3) Building Elevations - indicates the design and height (in feet) of the building, doors and windows, balconies, eaves, gutter and downspout, the wall and roof materials or finishes, and colors.

Note: Building and Safety Division has another checklist of plan requirements.  It is advisable to get their requirements at the same time you get the Planning Division checklist of project requirements.

What is a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)?

The Community Development Block Grant is a federally funded grant program administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), aimed to assist low to moderate-income communities in community development projects.  Every year, each city with more than 50,000 people and each county with a population with more than 200,000 automatically receive this funding from the federal government. CDBG dollars can be used to fund community development projects such as:

  • Public Facilities: day care centers, recreational facilities, parks/playgrounds or health centers.
  • Public Improvements: street and sidewalk repairs/improvements, graffiti removal.
  • Public Services: employment services, crime prevention, childcare, health services, fair housing counseling or recreational services.
  • Housing Activities: housing rehabilitation, lead abatement, housing discrimination services, and emergency shelter services.
  • Economic Development: small business loans/grants, job training, construction and rehabilitation of commercial buildings.

What is a Home Occupation Permit?

It is a permit that is issued to the property owner or resident to conduct a business out of the home.

What is a Plan Review?

A plan review is a detailed review of construction drawings submitted by an applicant for compliance with state and local Building Codes prior to the issuance of a building permit. A plan submittal and review is required in most cases. Contact the Building Division to see if your construction project will need plan review.

  • What you need to know about Plan Checking
  • Commercial plan check submittal requirements
  • What you need to know about Tenant Improvements
  • Tenant improvement plan check submittal requirements
  • Residential plan check submittal requirements
  • What you need to know about doing room additions
  • Room addition plan check submittal requirements

What is the Building Permit Application Procedure?

The first step, before doing anything else, is to check with the Planning Division to determine if a Precise Plan of Design approval is required for your construction project. If the Precise Plan of Design is required, you will need to complete this process before submitting a Building Permit application. If a Precise Plan of Design is not required you may submit your application to the Building Division.

What is the cost of a building permit?

Building permits fee’s vary depending on the type and complexity of the project. If you would like to find out what the Building permit cost will be for your construction project call us or e-mail us and will be glad to give you a cost estimate.

What is the Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG) Program?

Emergency Shelter Grant program funds are used to help improve the quality of existing emergency shelters for the homeless, to help make available additional emergency shelters, and to meet the costs of operating shelter and providing essential services to the homeless. The City of Inglewood contracts with two agencies that provide a provision of homeless services.  These agencies are St. Margaret's Center and People Assisting the Homeless (P.A.T.H).

What is the HOME Investment Partnership Act (HOME)?

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) allocates HOME Investment Partnership Act funds by formula to eligible state and local governments, including the City of Inglewood to strengthen public-private partnerships to provide more affordable housing. 

Fifteen percent (15%) of HOME funds must be allocated to a Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO).  The City utilizes the remaining eighty-five percent (85%) of HOME funds to expand the supply of decent, safe, sanitary, and affordable housing to very low to moderate-income persons. This is accomplished through implementation of housing programs and projects that provide assistance in the form of grants and deferred loans. HOME Program eligible costs and activities are, program administration, new housing construction, housing rehabilitation, home mortgage/purchase assistance, short term rental assistance.

What is the minimum and the maximum width of driveway for a garage in a residential area?

For single lane driveway, the minimum width is 10 feet and the maximum width is 12 feet.  For a two lane driveway, the minimum driveway is 18 feet and the maximum width is 22 feet.

What is the number for Section 8 Housing Assistance?

The Housing Division of the Community Development Department can be reached at (310) 412-5221.

What is the processing time for a Sign Permit?

If the plans are complete and in substantial compliance with code requirements, Sign Permit would be issued over-the-counter.

What is the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program?

The Choice Voucher program is the Federal Governments major program for assisting very low income families, the elderly and the disabled to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing.

What kind and size of paper do I use for my plans?

There is no specific kind and size of paper required for the plans. Most commonly used size is 20 inches by 30 inches or larger.  Any type of paper that can be copied or blue printed is acceptable.

What kind of plans do I need to submit?

A Site Plan showing the location of the existing and proposed signs, elevation of the proposed signs in relation to the building, and details of the proposed signs.

What type of home occupation or business is allowed.

Basically office use only.

What type of programs and projects are eligible for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds?

CDBG funds can be used for a wide range of activities such as housing rehabilitation, code enforcement, acquisition of real property, demolition, infrastructure and public facility improvements, economic development, and social services. The primary eligibility requirement for any such activity to be funded is that the project or program principally benefits low and moderate-income persons in designated census tracts.  The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) defines low and moderate income as a household that is at or below 80% of the median income for the area. These income guidelines are adjusted annually.

What type of sign is allowed in Inglewood?

Only individually cut, molded or recessed letters are allowed for wall signs.

What types of housing programs are available to non-profit community based programs?

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers community-based nonprofit organizations the opportunity to purchase HUD homes at discounts of up to 30 percent off the appraised value. For more information, please visit HUD’s website at:

What types of programs are funded by Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)?

Funded programs are those that serve 51 percent low- and moderate-income neighborhoods and residents within the City of Inglewood. The majority of CDBG funds are used in acquisition, construction, engineering, planning, and economic development projects. However, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) allows 15 percent of the City's entitlement to go toward funding "public service" (social services) programs. Such "public service" funded programs include: juvenile diversion/youth services, senior citizen services, persons with HIV/AIDS services, job training, homeless services, family violence/crime intervention and prevention services, and transitional living services. (NOTE: This list is not inclusive of all types of services that may be eligible under the CDBG Program.)

When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required whenever a structure or building is erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, converted or demolished.

When is a Building Permit Issued?

When it is determined that the proposed work or construction is in conformance with all state and local Building Codes a Building, Plumbing, Electrical or Mechanical permit will be issued.

Where can I get information on zoning, planning and development?

At the Planning Division located at the 7th Floor, City Hall building, One Manchester Boulevard, or at the City’s web site address

Where do I apply for a parcel map?

Application for a parcel map is available at the Planning Division counter.

Where do I apply for the above permits?

Apply to the Planning Division and the Building and Safety Division located at the 4th Floor, City Hall building.

Where do I get the application for the Large Family Child Care Facility?

The application is available at the Planning Division counter.

Where do I go to apply for a license to start a business?

Apply for a Business Tax Certificate at the Finance Department, Ground Floor, City Hall building, One Manchester Boulevard.

Who can apply for Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)?

CDBG funds are available for community development projects in specific, federally mandated CDBG areas within the City of Inglewood.   CDBG grants are awarded on a competitive basis to certified 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations.  Request for Proposals (RFP) are made available once per year, usually during the month of May.  To have your agency added to the City’s CDBG mailing list, please submit your agency’s address and contact name to: CDBG Division, One Manchester Boulevard, Suite 550, Inglewood, California, 90301 or fax requests to 310-330-5780.

Who can help me locate a place for my business?

You may call or see a local commercial leasing agent or you can look for the place yourself.

Who do I contact for structural, plumbing, mechanical or electrical questions?

Contact Building and Safety Division at (310) 412-5294.

Who do I contact to find out where my property line is located?

Contact a civil engineer or surveyor to do a property survey.

Who is eligible for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds?

Individual citizens or families are not eligible for direct CDBG funds.  Only certified, non-profit 501(c) (3) organizations can apply for funding.   Projects and programs must benefit low- and moderate-income individuals in CDBG eligible areas.  City departments can also apply to provide for improvements to public property such as streets, sidewalks and parks.  For more information, please call the CDBG Division at 310-412-8800.

Why do I need a garage?

The Inglewood Municipal Code requires a two-car garage for each dwelling unit.