Inglewood Residential Registry FY 2021-2022
For the 2021-2022 Program Year (Oct. 1, 2021 – Sept. 30, 2022) the Initial Residential Registration Date, pursuant to Section 8-126, shall commence on January 7, 2022.
What to Expect on the Initial Registration Date
A Property Owner and Landlord must file an annual registration statement by registering through the online Inglewood Residential Registry System, regardless if the property is used as a rental or not.
For residential properties/units that are offered for rent, the following information will be required when you register:
- Address of the residence, including identifying the unit number or letter;
- All amenities and housing services associated with the residential unit;
- Total number of current occupants at the time of registration;
- The name of an emergency contact, including the contact's name, address and phone number; and
- Date of last rent increase (if applicable).
Upon successful completion of registration, property owners and landlords will receive the following:
- Residential properties subject to the Housing Protection Ordinance will receive a Registration Certificate; and
- Residential properties exempt from the Housing Protection Ordinance will receive an Exempt Registration Certificate.
For residential properties offered for rent, copies of the Registration Certificate must be provided to each tenant. If the property has more than one unit, a copy of the certificate must be posted in a conspicuous location on the property easily accessible to the tenants such as the lobby, mailboxes or near the public entrance.
How to Register
ALL RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY OWNERS MUST register their property and/or units with the Housing Protection Department (HPD). The online Inglewood Residential Registry System will be open to Property Owners and Landlords beginning January 7, 2022 through March 31, 2022.
Property owners and Landlords will need their property’s Assessor’s Parcel Number(s), the unique pin (that will be provided by mail), and a valid Business Tax Certificate for the owner (if applicable) and any property management company acting as the owner’s agent to register their property.
If your property type is exempt according to the Inglewood Municipal Code (IMC) Ordinance 21-09, YOU MUST STILL REGISTER your property and/or units and claim the exemption(s) with the HPD.
If you need assistance, please contact the HPD at (310) 412-4330.
- Registration fees are intended to recover the City’s reasonable costs associated with enforcing its housing protection regulations as set forth in Chapter 8 (Articles 9 and 10) of the Inglewood Municipal Code, and related inspection programs.
- The fees for Registration completed between January 7, 2022 and March 31, 2022, will be waived.
- A Registration Fee shall be charged for each registration filed on or after April 1, 2022, regardless of property type and exemption status.
- Commencing May 1, 2022, the City may commence enforcement against any Property Owner and Landlord who fail to register a residential property/unit pursuant to Inglewood Municipal Code Section 8-126. Furthermore, no Property Owner and Landlord shall advertise for rent, demand or accept rent for a rental unit, or evict any tenant from a rental unit, without first procuring and serving a copy of a valid Registration Certificate on the tenant of that rental unit (if applicable).
In addition, no petition, application, claim, or request will be accepted by the Program Administrator from any Property Owner and Landlord, and no hearing or other proceeding shall be scheduled or take place on any such petition, application, claim or request, and no rent increases will be granted by the Program Administrator, Hearing Officers or the Board for any rental unit unless the Owner has procured and served a copy of a valid registration certificate on the tenant of that rental unit.
- If the rent for a rental unit(s) is less than seventy percent (70%) of Fair Market Rents, and the unit is timely registered, the Unit will be exempt from the registration fee requirement. Fair Market Rent shall be determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
For the subsequent years after the initial registration date, each registration statement and claims of exemption(s) must be annually filed on or before October 31st of each year (beginning October 31, 2022). The City Council may modify the annual registration date by resolution.
- Registration of a rental unit(s) shall not be complete, and no registration certificate shall be issued until the Property Owner and/or Landlord has done the following:
- Paid all fees owed to the City with respect to the residential unit including registration fees imposed pursuant to this article;
- Obtained a valid Business Tax Certificate for the Landlord and any property management company acting as the Landlord’s agent; and
- Filed a complete and accurate registration statement for that unit including all information required by this article and any rules or regulations adopted by the Board.