Submit U-Visa Request

I-918 (U-Visa Request) - Be sure to follow the instructions below carefully.
I-918 B forms MUST be completely and accurately filled out with the exception of the signature line and date. If the required information is not provided, is incomplete, or filled out incorrectly, forms may be returned or rejected.
Please do not include information about injuries the Inglewood Police Department has not documented within the report and cannot attest to.  For example, “Applicant suffered emotional trauma and suffers from difficulty sleeping.”
·         If the reviewer does not agree with the information you have provided, changes may be made to the certification form. If any significant alteration has been made, you will be notified.
·         Inglewood Police Department Report retention policy requires that reports are maintain for five years and one day after prosecution is adjudicated, with some exception. If the case you are requested to be certified falls outside off this policy, it may no longer be available for consideration.
·         Provide a copy of all related police reports.
·         Please do not list “See Attached” when asked to provide information about:
o    Facts of the case.
o    Injuries sustained by the applicant.
o    Box marked “other"
U Visa Information:
Please use the following required information for the I-918 B form (Part 2):
·         Name of Certifying Agency: Inglewood Police Department
·         Name of Certifying Official: Neal Cochran
·         Title: Lieutenant
·         Name of Head of Certifying Agency: Mark Fronterotta, Chief of Police
·         Agency Address: 1 W. Manchester Boulevard, Inglewood, CA 90301
·         Phone: (310) 412-8681
·         Agency Type: Local
·         Certifying Agency Category: Law Enforcement
Please ensure that all boxes are marked.  If you have no information for a certain box, please mark, “N/A.”
Please send all requests to:
Inglewood Police Department
Attn: Lt. Cochran, Detective Bureau

1 W. Manchester Boulevard

Inglewood, CA 90301
You MUST include a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your certification request.
How do I qualify for a U-Visa?
Under federal and California State law, certain undocumented crime victims who have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse and are helpful to law enforcement are eligible to apply for a U nonimmigrant status visa (U visa). The U visa allows eligible victims to live and work in the United States for up to four years with the possibility of obtaining permanent resident status.
To qualify, a victim must obtain certification from a local, state or federal law enforcement agency documenting his/her helpfulness in the investigation and prosecution of the designated crime of which he/she was a victim.
If a victim believes he/she may qualify for a U visa, the victim or his/her representative must complete the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) Form I-918, Supplement B (for U visa) and submit it to the Inglewood Police Department for consideration. The USCIS I-918 Supplement B form is available on the USCIS.
What is a U-Visa?
The U-Visa was created to provide temporary immigration benefits to undocumented immigrants who are victims of qualifying criminal activity, and to their qualifying family members, as appropriate.
The U-Visa is available to undocumented immigrants who have met each of the five points below:
  1. Has been the victim of one or more qualifying crimes;
  2. Has suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of one or more qualifying crimes;
  3. Has useful information concerning the crime which occurred;
  4. Has helped, or is likely to help, in the investigation or prosecution of the crime; and
  5. The crime committed violated the laws of the United States or occurred in the United States.
U-Visa Qualifying Crimes
The serious crimes listed in the table below are qualifying crimes. If you have been a victim of one or more of these crimes and cooperate with authorities, you may be eligible to apply for a U-Visa.
  • Abduction
  • Abusive sexual contact
  • Blackmail
  • Domestic Violence
  • Extortion
  • False imprisonment
  • Felonious assault
  • Female genital mutilation
  • Fraud in foreign labor contracting
  • Hostage
  • Incest
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Kidnapping
  • Manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Obstruction of justice
  • Peonage
  • Perjury
  • Prostitution
  • Rape
  • Sexual assault
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Slave trade
  • Stalking
  • Torture
  • Trafficking
  • Unlawful criminal restraint
  • Witness tampering
  • Attempt, conspiracy, or solicitation to commit any of the above crimes
How to Apply for a U-Visa
The U-Visa certification process begins with a request being received by the Inglewood Police Department, usually through the victim’s advocate and/or attorney, related to a crime that occurred in the Inglewood Police Department jurisdiction. The Department’s role is to certify that:
  • The U-Visa applicant is the victim of a qualifying crime
  • The applicant is, has been, or is likely to be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity