Finding Biographic Information Online
Students and others frequently come to the library seeking biographical information about a variety of people. Although there are many print sources available in most libraries, in some cases those may be outdated or simply do not have enough information about the person.The World Wide Web has numerous sources designed to assist users in finding biographical information. What follows is a "webliography" of sites which include biographic information:
- African American Women Writers of the 19th Century - A digital collection of over 50 published works by 19th century black women writers. A part of the Digital Schomburg Collection, this website provides access to the thought, perspectives, and creative abilities of black women as captured in books and pamphlets published prior to 1920. A full text database is keyword-searchable; each individual title as well as the entire database can be searched to determine what these women had to say about "family," "religion," "slavery" or any other subject of interest to the researcher or casual reader.
- Bio - Search through thousands of paragraph-length biographies of notable personalities from antiquity to the present, from the Bio Channel. Searchable by name of person. Entries include dates, pronunciation guides, the gender, alternate spellings of the name, and other relevant biography links.
- Biographies of Women Mathematicians - An ongoing project by students in mathematics classes at Agnes Scott College, in Atlanta, Georgia, to illustrate the numerous achievements of women in the field of mathematics. There are biographical essays or comments on most of the women mathematicians and some photos.
- The Faces of Science: African Americans in the Sciences - Includes an alphabetical index, index by profession, and information on the first African Americans to receive Ph.D.s in a science as well as African American woman scientists. Presented by the Louisiana State University Libraries.
- Find a Grave - A directory of the locations of the graves of thousands of people with many photographs. Browse by name, location, and claim to fame, and searchable by first or last name. There are also links to cemeteries, funeral homes, and other related subjects. There is an extensive bibliography included.