Establishing a Business

Who Needs a Business Tax Certificate?

Any individual, partnership or corporation who wishes to conduct business within the City of Inglewood must obtain a Business Tax Certificate. Inglewood Municipal Code Section 8-2 states "It shall be unlawful for any person to commence or conduct any business in the City without first having procured a Business Tax Certificate from the City so to do and paying the tax prescribed or without complying with any and all applicable provisions of this or any other ordinance of the City now existing or which may hereafter be adopted by the City Council and which refers to such business."

Owners of residential rental property are required to maintain a Business Tax Certificate. (Ordinance 91-16 7-2-91)

A separate tax certificate must be obtained for each branch establishment or separate place of business. (Ordinance 2450 9-13-83; Ordinance 01-14 10-02-01)

Planning Division

Before you apply for the Business Tax Certificate you should verify that the area in which you wish to do business is zoned for that purpose. Zoning information can be obtained by contacting the Planning Division at 310-412-5230. Zoning may require additional permits or site plans.

Resale Number

If your business involves the sale of tangible personal property either retail or wholesale, you are required to obtain a seller's permit from the State Board of Equalization (SBOE). As a seller, you must remit sales tax (collected from the consumer at the (time of sale) to the SBOE. The SBOE will advise you of the time and manner in which taxes are to be reported and paid.

Failure to register for a seller's permit and pay taxes in the manner prescribed may result in a fine or other penalty from the SBOE. For more information contact the State Board of Equalization at (310) 342-1000 or online. Please provide a copy of the Seller's permit with your application for Business Tax Certificate.

Fictitious Name Statement

If your business name does not include your surname or if the business name suggests that there is the existence of additional owners, you must file a Fictitious Name Statement. You may contact the Los Angeles County Clerk at 562-462-2177 to obtain information on how and where to file.

Federal Employer Identification Number

Contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040 for a Federal Employer Identification Number or visit the IRS website. The IRS will provide a Business Kit, seminars for new businesses, additional information and forms.

Alarm System Permit

Learn more on our Alarm System Permit page.

Home Occupation Requirements

Inglewood Municipal Code Section 12-17.1 regulates businesses based out of the home. If you are planning to have a business in your home please contact the Planning Division first at 310-412-5230 to determine if the City of Inglewood allows this type of business to be conducted from the home.

In addition to the Business Tax Certificate Application a Home Occupation Application must also be filled out.

Business License

In addition to a Business Tax Certificate certain businesses may be required to get a Business License. Please check to see if your business activity requires a permit or license from the City of Inglewood by calling 310-412-5500.