Economic Crimes Section
About the Economic Crimes Section
The Economic Crimes Section investigates various types of fraud crimes. Some of these crimes include identity theft, counterfeit and forged checks, counterfeit credit cards, Internet scams, embezzlement and lottery scams.
The unit is staffed by one Sergeant, three Detectives and one Administrative Aide.
Contact the Economic Crimes Section at 310-412-5270 or 310-412-5273.
If you become a victim of fraud, you may walk up to the Inglewood Police Department Information desk to file a police report. In addition, if you have any documents which will help in the investigation of your case, such as credit card statements, collection letters or copies of checks, please provide those at the time your report is filed.
If you become a victim of identity theft, the following are some additional steps you should take to help yourself from being victimized further.
- Contact the three credit reporting bureaus and have a "fraud alert" placed on your credit report. The three credit reporting bureaus are:
- Equifax, Phone: 800-525-6285
- Experian, Phone: 888-EXPERIAN, (888-397-3742)
- TransUnion, Phone: 800-680-7289
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with, or established fraudulently.
- File a police report.
- Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission online or by phone at 877-ID-THEFT (877-438-4338).
There are many informative websites and resources that will help you in protecting your "good name" and reputation. Trying to repair your credit and identity after becoming a victim can take years and may be very costly. The following are some of the websites to help educate you about guarding against fraud.