Is there any work that is exempt from building permits?
A building permit is not required for the following:
- One story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the projected floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
- Fences not over 6 feet high.
- Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high.
- Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
- Platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement of story below.
- Painting, papering and similar finish work.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of private residences or private garages when projecting not more than 54 inches.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a private residence in which the pool walls are entirely above grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons. Unless other wise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above-exempted items.

Show All Answers

1. Can your office help me find locations suitable for my business?
2. Can your office help me with processing of a building?
3. Do you offer grants for businesses?
4. How do I obtain a copy of the City’s budget?
5. Is there any work that is exempt from building permits?
6. What are the Permit types issued by the Building Division?
7. What is a Building Inspection?
8. What is a Plan Review?
9. What is the Building Permit Application Procedure?
10. What is the cost of a building permit?
11. What kind of information can you provide me about Inglewood? I am considering bringing my business to the city.
12. When do I need a building permit?
13. When is a Building Permit Issued?
14. Who are the players in the budget development?