Is there any work that is exempt from building permits?
A building permit is not required for the following:
- One story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the projected floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
- Fences not over 6 feet high.
- Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high.
- Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
- Platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement of story below.
- Painting, papering and similar finish work.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of private residences or private garages when projecting not more than 54 inches.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a private residence in which the pool walls are entirely above grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons.
- Unless other wise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above-exempted items.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a building permit?
2. Is there any work that is exempt from building permits?
3. What is the cost of a building permit?
4. What are the Permit types issued by the Building Division?
5. What is the Building Permit Application Procedure?
6. What is a Plan Review?
7. When is a Building Permit Issued?
8. What is a Building Inspection?
9. Do I need a permit to build a house or make an addition to my house?
10. Where do I apply for a permit?
11. Is a building permit the only permit I need for building construction or addition?
12. What do I need to do to apply for a permit?
13. Who do I contact for structural, plumbing, mechanical or electrical questions?